Tuesday 12 July 2016

The Odyssey of the Slave Boy

The next day being Nkwo market day, I followed Mama to the market, carrying her wares on my head and grudgingly dragging my feet along the dusty bush path that lead to the market square. Mama was planning to use the profit from the sales to buy foodstuff, more clothing, because her age grade had a ceremony coming up and she did not want to be the only one wearing old clothes.
As we got to the crowded market square which was two miles from our hamlet, we saw all kinds of people there- tall, short, good-looking, ugly and compassionate. We soon found a good spot which was to serve as Mama's shop for the day to sell her wares. It was as though customers fled our side because nobody came around, not even to inquire about the prices of Mama’s wares.
 Perceiving growing commotion nearby, I looked in the direction of a man agitating because the price of a red cap had shot up from 20 cowries to 28.
As I kept on observing the elderly man, I heard the loudest bang I have ever heard before and everyone scattered in different directions to safety. I and Mama also tried to quickly pack our goods and flee but within a millisecond, we, and about a hundred other people were rounded up with men carrying guns, machetes, spears, and all other kinds of weapons. We were bound-hands, neck, and wrist in groups of ten, slowly marching to an unknown destination.

TO BE CONTINUED...

-Valentine O.
Gfaze Team

No comments:

Post a Comment