Friday 20 May 2016

OF NO NATION....

Of No Nation
I think it's high time
I get the hell outta Nigeria
I don't really see anything working out
For me here.
I finally agree with my sixteen-year old self,
That Nigeria is fruitless
Non-dynamic
That most Nigerians deep down
All have the same mentality
This annoying African mentality
And that I can never be with
A Nigerian
I know the first thing
That angrily comes out of their mouths when I rant on
Like this:
But aren't you Nigerian?
Well, technically, yes
By birth
But by reasoning, by education, by will
And to a good percentage, by blood
I can never be
Nigerian.
I wasn't bred a Nigerian, and had Nigeria been
A better place
I would not have minded being associated
With it.
But no.
Patriotism elsewhere may be categorized as
An act of valor
But patriotism in such a deplorable country
May as well be counted as an act of treason
The only shred of respect I have for Nigeria
Lies not in the midst of so-called patriots
Or their robotic comrades
Who agree in unison to make life miserable for their
Civilian counterparts
Patriotism does not exist in Nigeria
Those who preach it still cower and flee
Adopting foreign ways not known by their fathers
My last respects lie with the multitude
Of people,
Thinkers who do not cowardly proclaim change
But act on it
O God of creation,
Listen to this petition of a noble cause.
Love and honesty are fugitives
Victims of war, fleeing for their lives
Away from Nigeria
What an irony that it is sung and upheld
With unrepentant hypocrisy
Not just from the high and noble
But even by the laymen and low
Freedom, peace, and unity
Are but illusions promised
The evidence is neither seen
Nor felt
We should be proud to have been born into
A state
But instead, we boldly flay the African hide
From our backs
And transform into beasts of no nation.
Why should I be proud
Of a pseudo-country?
It looks like a country
Certainly has government like a country
But is lawless and base
Unjust and dishonest
Disguised as a state,
Yet flawed in every sector.
Why should I be expected
To proudly be called
A citizen of Nigeria
When it seems the country
Is not even proud of me?

                                                                 XOXO...ro

No comments:

Post a Comment